10 toxic plants that your horse should avoid
Today we are going to talk about a subject that must be taken into account: the toxic plants.
Taking care of our horse nutrition and health, has to be our top priority. We have already commented it in our posts. For example, for the proper development of our colt.
As a general rule, our horse can have a good nutrition through the combination of forage and feed. In fact, here you can see our catalogue of horse feed.
The problem of wild horses is that they look for their own food. Thus, in the case that they have an insufficient forage they can eat any other plant.
How you may have guessed by reading the title of the post, this confusion may result in the intake of some toxic plant that can play a dirty trick on your animal. Therefore, we show here a list of the 10 toxic plants that your horse should avoid, by all means.
List of the 10 toxic plants for our horse
A few months ago, the hemlock killed a minor. This toxic plant is very common in parks and gardens, being very similar to plants such as, for example, parsley. Despite its nice appearance, the hemlock is a plant which can produce rapid death with small intakes, even two days after ingesting it. Fortunately, it is not a plant with an attractive flavor for the horse, but it can eat the plant by accident.
The tree known as yew or black yew, as well as its fruits, is another toxic plant that can seriously affect our horse. It is precisely its toxicity that has made many farmers to cut these trees. With a very small intake, it can cause the death of our animal. To make us an idea, a horse may die if it eats between 100 and 200 grams of this plant.
Another toxic plant with an attractive appearance. Luckily, its bitter taste is not very desired by horses. Now, pay attention to the horse fodder because it can be mixed with these toxic plants. Among the diseases caused by the intake of ragwort we find the liver cirrhosis.
Oleander or Rosebay
The Oleander is another toxic plant that can cause serious problems in our horse, and it can even cause cardiac arrest. In addition, for becoming intoxicated, your horse does not need a high intake of this plant. On the positive side, if there is one, we find its unpleasant taste. Still, as in other cases, the horse can eat this toxic plant mixed with its fodder.
The Rhododendron, a typical evergreen shrub, is another toxic plant that can affect our horse. The toxin of the Rhododendron may also cause the death of the animal and very quickly, just a few hours after its intake.
The Fern is a toxic plant that is very pleasant to the palate of the horses, so you should be especially careful. Among the problems caused by this plant we find the destruction of the vitamin B of the animal, with the grave consequences that this can cause.
The Senecio Jacobaea is another toxic plant that may cause serious damage to the horse. Its venom can destroy the liver of the horse, so we have to be attentive to this plant, it is our responsibility.
This plant, also known as Digitalis, has pink flowers with a showy color but it also has a toxin that is especially harmful for horses. Among the effects that the Foxglove causes we find the colic or enteritis, and it can even cause the death of the horse.
The Belladonna is a plant used in garden decoration, due to its spectacular flowers. However, this plant is especially harmful for the horse, and it can produce abdominal pain, cardiac arrhythmia, muscle tremors or blindness. Of course, this toxic plant can also cause death.
The white snakeroot, characterized by its small white flowers, is another plant that our horse should avoid, by all means. This plant can produce depression and weakness in our animal, as well as heart or liver failure, possibly causing deathmore or less a week later.
How to prevent our horse from eating toxic plants?
This list that we have mentioned above could be much larger, so we must preserve all kinds of measures to prevent our horse from eating these plants.
In this sense, we can give you several advices to avoid these toxic plants.
For example, if we have a large meadow in which the animal moves and eats, we must analyze each tree. In particular, its berries and make sure that the type and fruits of the plant are not toxic.
In the case that your plants or fruits are toxic, you should not let the horse eat in the area, or you should even cut down these trees.
Also, you will have to revise the fodder of your horse, since many dried plants can be mixed in its elaboration. The confidence in the fodder suppliers must be 100% to take care of our horse health.
We hope that this post has helpedyou. But, watch out! We do not want to create panic with this, since most plants are perfectly edible, but it is always better to know what your horse eats to keep it healthy and strong.
For our part, nothing more. Next week we will talk about the importance of food presentation because yes, horses, also valued the presentation. If you are interested, stay tuned!Share it!!!